Saturday, December 16, 2006

smart/success is in the eye of the beholder

My friend from med school had her annual Christmas party today. The party consisted of, physical therapy students, medical students, one doctor, one lawyer, one business owner(?), a marine, one bioengineer, one PR type person and 2 other people I don't know what they did. So the PR person, the lawyer, the bioengineer and I were having a conversation about what we did for a living. It was kind of interesting that each of us were so impressed with each other's profession.

I was blown away at what the bioengineer had accomplished. Undergrad was Berkeley(Bioengineer major), Master's in Mechanical Engineering at Cambridge(?) and now she's getting a pHD in Bioengineering at Stanford(?). Engineering is freakin' hard. We all felt really stupid compared to her hehe. The lawyer was saying that she didn't think law school was hard and in my head I'm thinking, medical school isn't as hard as people think. But there's no way I could go to law school and read all that crap and write all those papers. That's smart! You get the gist.

So, it got me thinking at how I admire so many people who have various careers that I couldn't fathom myself doing. Teachers for example. I have a few teacher friends and when they tell stories about work, I just sit there baffled thinking, "What would I do in that situation?" I wouldn't be able to handle. Same thing goes for my friends who are housewives. It's insane what they do! And forget about the people who deal with money, computers and spreadsheets; there's no way I could do what they do. It all really makes me feel like I'm a lazy person even though people see me and say, "Wow you're in medical school!!!"

I guess if you think about it, your accomplishments in life don't seem that hard once you've accomplished them. But you just have to remember that it IS an accomplishment. You HAVE acheived something. You ARE smart and successful; if you don't see it yourself, someone else is bound to see it for you.

2 comments:

Grace said...

you sound like a very good motivational speaker... ;)

Seeker said...

medschool is hard....i dunno what you're talking about.