Monday, December 11, 2006

"Are BlackBerry users the new smokers?"

I read this article and found it quite interesting and true. While second hand texting won't kill you, someone texting in a car might, so I will welcome the parallel. More importantly, I've felt what the author has felt with certain people who text/answer phones during a dinner out. I understand answering a phone call if it's "important" or if it's someone you really haven't heard from in a long time, but as courtesy, one should excuse themselves and walk away from the table if the conversation is going to last more than a few seconds. Furthermore, I think it's rude to text back and forth with someone while you're eating dinner with another person. My mom does this ALLLLL the time. I feel like the parent(which isn't a new thing) wanting to just make the rule of no cell phones or gadgets at the dinner table.

Here's an example of improper use of cell phone etiquette. I was at an interview today and during the noon conference(where a member of the faculty or a guest lecturer gives a talk) one of my fellow interviewee's phone goes off. It takes her about a good minute to find her phone in her purse as it continues to ring, not even bothering to apologize. I give her the benefit of the doubt and maybe she forgot to turn off her phone ringer. It goes off AGAIN a minute later. You know what she does? SHE ANSWERS THE PHONE! Tells the caller, "I'm not done yet. I'll call you back." Doesn't apologize again and really pretends like nothing happened. What's wrong with people? You're interviewing at this place!! Why are you so blatantly rude? I was beside myself.

4 comments:

Seeker said...

whoa...two posts in one day. AWESOME!! it's funny you wrote about tech...i just (handwrote) something for my blog about tech. :P i'll post it before u get home....hopefully. I'm doing my 1st student interview today!! tooooooo...:P WEEMEE!

Anonymous said...

Note to self....dont text while at dinner with you...hahahah....blog fanatic..

p.s. ur rss doesnt work on my google homepage...but both of mine do...wassup with that..?

Seeker said...

speaking of technology, i put up a linky to your blog from mine! :P

Grace said...

OMG?!?!? what kind of an idiot is she?!?!?!!?