Saturday, January 06, 2007

Dr. Nurse

This article was one of the medical news articles on my home page:

Filipino MD Picks Life As Nurse in U.S.

It tells the tale of Elmer Jacinto who trained as a nurse and then doctor in the Philippines. He moved to America in hopes of finding a better future and earning money to send back to his family in the Philippines...but as a nurse.

"A nurse in the Philippines makes $150 to $250 a month; doctors make $300 to $800. But the average registered nurse in the U.S. earns $4,000 a month."

I started think, however, "Why don't these doctors pursue a career in medicine in the U.S.?" It pays even more than a nurse. I could understand that perhaps passing the boards is difficult because of the language barriers, but there are many foreign medical graduates out there practicing medicine just fine. I asked my mom the reason behind the Dr. Nurses. She explained to me that if you're a nurse, you can get petitioned more quickly to work legally in the U.S. than doctors since they are in demand.

Another interesting point the article brought up was that since all these doctors who trained in the Philippines are heading to America for a career in nursing, there is a shortage of doctors in the Philippines, especially in the rural parts. I never really thought about this, but it made me kind of sad. These people are just trying to find a better life for themselves, but in doing so other people are left without healthcare; and those that stayed are being shortchanged even more for doing good. I guess it's just one of those things in healthcare that need a solution, but it will be years before we actually find one, much like the health insurance gap here in the U.S.

No comments: