Friday, November 24, 2006

I would just like to curse blogger for a minute because I wrote this whole blog 5 minutes ago, but it errored and I LOST IT. So here is another version of my lost blog:

Black Friday = Crappy Customer Service Day

My dad comes to visit me and my sis every Thanksgiving and the day after we usually go shopping for random things we need around the house and/or his birthday present. This year we had our fair share of runins with incompetent sales representatives.

Encounter 1: Sears
We decided to make this our first stop since it would be the biggest purchase(a refridgerator). We were able to narrow our choices down to 2. The sales representative that helped us out was nice enough, but he didn't know anything about the refridgerators. When asked what the difference was between to identical refridgerators that were priced $200 apart, he just looked at the cards in front of the product(we had already done this) and finally attributed it to the fact that one was priced for the "white" model and one the "stainless steel" model, which was untrue since they were both priced for the white model. When checking us out he had to ring us up twice because he forgot the first register had a malfunction. All I'm saying is know you're product before you actually talk to customers. Nothings worse than knowing more than the salesman who's getting paid to "sell" products to you.

Encounter 2: Circuit City
Before I go saying negative things about our service here, I will say that one of the sales reps did find us the 1 GB Sandisk SD Memory card for 2.99 which I was sure would be sold out. And in the end the manager was able to fix whatever went wrong. Upon checking out, the phone that was advertised as 69.99 rang up as 79.99. The cashier said that there would be a $10 rebate and I shrugged it off. The total came out to be aroudn 130 for the $79 phone, a $14 CD and the memory card. I questioned her about the price and she said that there should be a $27 rebate. Puzzled, I paid and walked away. My dad and I rechecked the receipt and found that the rebate was for the memory card with no rebate for the phone. Luckily we found a manager-type person who was probably already so irritated and busy that he gave us our $10 back.

Encounter 3: Macy's, Lancome and Estee Lauder counters
This by far was the worst I have ever seen. My mom had asked me to pick up her perfume for her at Macy's. I went to Lancome first since I got to it first. I had to ask the sales rep three times with three different intonations for Oui, pronounced "we." She then brought out and Eu de toillete, which is not what I wanted since I asked her for perfume. She then proceeds to open the box to show me the bottle. I don't care what the bottle looks like, it's not perfume! COME ON!

Moving on, we approached the Estee Lauder counter. I waited for 5 minutes for someone, ANYONE to acknowledge that I existed. The two sales reps just kept walking around and helping other customers who didn't even look like they were gonna buy anything. I even made eyecontact with both of them and I didn't even get so much as a, "I'll be with you shortly." I finally cornered the less intimidating one since the other one had nearly ran me over a few seconds before and asked for Beyond Paradise. She points to the samples in the counter in front of me and says, "They're over there." I give her this incredulous look and say, "Yeah, I actually want to buy one so can you show me the actual boxes?" What's wrong with these people? I'm sure they get a commission right?

Encounter 4: Hollywood Video
This wasn't nearly as bad as Macy's and wouldn't have been anything except it was just the cherry on top of a Black Friday sundae. My dad and I got 3 DVDs for 5 bucks and rented a movie. The total came out sort of high so I questioned it. The lady said something about there being this many DVDs blah blah blah. I was like ok. She ended up charging us for an extra DVD. She was very apologetic but if she had just double checked when I asked her in the first place, we wouldn't have had to wait for her to refund our money back. As we walked to the car, my dad exclaimed, "Wow we could have lost $15 today!"(See Encounter 1)

HAPPY BLACK FRIDAY EVERYONE!

1 comment:

Seeker said...

eyyy...it's your own fault for going out on black friday....lol....i stayed home ordered a few dvds/cds from bestbuy.com.....no hassle - it was totally worth the extra $6 in shipping for the deals and the trouble-free shopping....lol.