Sunday, November 05, 2006

Blog #3 (Nov. 3)

Pinoy Ako(I am Filipino)

My mother has been an avid TFC(The Filipino Channel) watcher for a little over a year now. So I have been exposed, some might say over-exposed to the Filipino culture. I think I may know more about Filipino news than American news, which is just sad. At any rate, here is what I learned. If you have ANY kind of Filipino in you, and you reach minor stardom in the U.S., you will be worshiped 50 thousand times more in the Philippines. This is why I think Emmit Smith will win Dancing with the Stars and a large reason why Drew Lachey won last year.


Cheryl Burke

Now don't get me wrong. I don't think they won simply because she's Filipino. She knows how to cater to the crowd and she was lucky enough to get a partner who could actually dance. If she had gotten Master P it would be all over haha. So the crazy thing is that she was in this little snippet on TFC talking about how she's Pinoy and how that helped her get to where she's at blah blah blah. I couldn't find a clip but it was really cheesy hehe.




Manny Pacquiao

This man has risen to stardom in the past few years. I've never actually seen him fight, but I've heard he's a great boxer. The INSANE thing is he's a mega superstar back in the Philippines. He has....wait for it---and album and I think they're making a movie about his life. Below is the video to his hit song, "Para Sa 'Yo, and Laban Na 'To"(This Fight is for You).




Jasmine Trias

Jasmine Trias' story is by far was the most entertaining. She did relatively well on American Idol(3rd place), but the Philippines had much more in store for her. My mom was watching TFC one day and I see Jasmine on TV on some show or movie. The hilarious thing was that she was speaking English while all the characters around her spoke Tagalog. It was super cheese. She's a total flip celeb now.

Other notable flips:
Batista(halfie), Rufio(Dante Basco)(full), Phoebe Cates(1/4 flip), Enrique Iglesias - (part Filipino mother), Nicole Scherzinger - lead singer for the Pussycat Dolls (halfie), Vanessa Minnillo - model, host MTV's TRL(halfie)....that should be enough. I love Wikepedia. Here's a full list if you really want to know....Fil-Ams.

No comments: