Saturday, November 17, 2007

ASSHOLE DJ

there are a variety of dj's out there in the clubs, weddings and events. you've got the dj who plays from his computer player and plays the whole song then fades the next song in. he's pretty benign and only mildly annoying if the song he's playing sucks.

then you have the wedding dj/mc who doesn't really have the latest songs and plays the typical songs like 'we are family', 'ymca' and 'the chicken dance.' even this guy you can forgive since he is paid to entertain everyone at the wedding and not just the young folks. he only gets annoying if he talks too much on the mic.

next there is the inexperienced dj who plays all the songs right but horribly mixes the last song into the next song. at times he will play the same song twice.

finally, you have the perfect dj who plays the good songs for a decent amount of time and successfully mixes 4 eight counts of the last and 4 of the next song into the set. if he happens to play a song that clears the dance floor he immediately changes it to a good one.

last night I went to club vive in pasadena and I encountered a new species of dj: the asshole dj. this dj plays good songs. he even is able to mix songs together,sometimes 3. but he is evil because he lures you onto the dancefloor with a cool intro like maybe 'sweet child of mine' but then only plays it for 30 seconds and mixes in an obscure new wave trance song. wtf mate? in addition to that when he does play a craptastic song which clears half the dancefloor he plays the whole freakin song! why are you torturing us?! he played good songs but I was too scared to go on the dancefloor because I didn't want to dance to some random 80's song for the next FIVE minutes! other than that I had a good time. I suppose I'm a little too critical when it comes to dj's but dancing is one of the few things I love and you know I take those things seriously. don't get me started on food!

No comments: